LOS ANGELES — It ended the only way a game played just a couple miles from Hollywood could.

Cornerback Marcus Peters, traded away by the Chiefs in the offseason, intercepted the boy-wonder quarterback that took the reins of the franchise after he left to all but seal the L.A. Rams' 54-51 win.

Mahomes used his otherworldly arm strength to fling the ball down the field in the final minutes of the fourth quarter, but it landed right in Peters arm, like that's where it was destined to fall all along.

Clinging to a three-point lead, the Rams (10-1) couldn't capitalize on the ensuing drive and gave the Chiefs one more chance to score with 50 seconds to play.

But again, Mahomes (33 of 46, 478 yards, six touchdowns, three interceptions) tried to fling the ball down the field. And again, it was picked off. This time, safety Lamarcus Joyner hauled in the pick with 13 seconds to play to end the game for good.

So often, the so-called game of the year can't live up to the hype.

This one did.

Featuring 11 offensive scores, three defensive touchdowns and three field goals, the 3 hour, 42 minute epic Monday night game in front of a crowd of 77,002 had a little bit of everything: controversial officiating decisions, a pick-six, a Tyreek Hill peace sign, and multiple big man scoop-and-scores.

The 105 combined points set an NFL record for the most points scored in a Monday night game.

It was everything it was supposed to be, and then some.

After a slow start for the Chiefs in the first quarter that put the visitors in a 13-0 first-quarter hole, the game built to a screeching crescendo by the fourth quarter thanks to a combination of highlight reel offensive plays and momentum-changing defensive moments. Tied 23 at halftime, the two teams traded scores in the third quarter.

The Rams (10-1) accelerated to a 10-point lead with 2:14 to go in the third thanks to a 33-yard field goal from Greg Zuerlein followed up by a pick-six by Samson Ebukam on Mahomes' first play of the next drive. It was Mahomes first career pick-six and Ebukam's second defensive touchdown of the day after his 11-yard scoop-and-score in the final minutes of the second quarter.

With the momentum firmly in the Rams' corner, it felt like the two-score lead might be insurmountable. And maybe it would be for any other team.

But Chiefs (9-2) feature Mahomes and Hill. And for a while, that made all the difference.

With Hill streaking down the field three minutes into the fourth quarter, Patrick Mahomes cocked his arm and unleashed the ball.

As it hurtled down the field, Hill found himself completely wide open in the middle, the closest defender some 15 yards behind him.

As Hill crossed the goal line, he turned back to the Rams defender closing in and flashed him his signature peace sign. That drew a penalty for taunting, but it didn't matter. The Chiefs were back within a score.

Chiefs defensive lineman Allen Bailey quickly erased the deficit a minute later with his fumble recovery touchdown. But the Rams didn't go away quietly. How could they?

Rams quarterback Jared Goff answered by directing a scoring drive that included two deep completions to Josh Reynolds and Robert Woods and ended with a Gerald Everett touchdown for the Rams to regain the lead.

With the Rams back on top by three points and 9:38 left on the game clock, Mahomes went to work again. This time, he used a seven-minute drive to pick apart the Rams' defense with gutsy runs and big completions to tight end Travis Kelce and receiver Demarcus Robinson. A lowering-the-helmet penalty called against the Rams after a catch by tight end Demetrius Harris set up the Chiefs at the 10 yard line, and a play later, Mahomes found receiver Chris Conley for his sixth passing touchdown of the day — and second to Conley.

But it wasn't enough.

Everett would score a 40-yard touchdown from Goff for the game's final touchdown with 1:49 left to play.