Careless smoking is being blamed for a fire over the weekend at a Leavenworth residence, a Fire Department spokesman said.

Careless smoking is being blamed for a fire over the weekend at a Leavenworth residence, a Fire Department spokesman said.

The fire was reported at 10:48 p.m. Sunday at 1100 Wildwood St. No injuries were reported.

Mark DeMaranville, division chief of prevention for the Leavenworth Fire Department, said the fire started on a bed but spread to other areas of the residence.

Smoke detectors alerted people who were inside of the home.

Members of the Fort Leavenworth Fire Department were called to the scene to assist Leavenworth firefighters.

According to a preliminary estimate, the fire caused about $50,000 worth of damage to the structure as well as an additional $50,000 in damage to the home’s contents.